Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Dreaded Birth Story

Here is a mild version of her birth story, I was a week over due and booked for an induction for Monday July 16th (which was kind of good because then my doctor was back from holidays).  On Sunday July 15th at 2:30 am I started having contractions, nothing too serious but enough to make it uncomfortable to sleep plus I got excited.  These continued on all day.  They came and went and came and went, I watched TV and played card games online to keep myself distracted.  Finally at 2 am Monday morning hoping that I had dilated past the 3 cm I was on the Friday we headed to the hospital.  We checked in and they checked me, no progress, but because we were booked for induction at 6 am that morning and the delivery wing was dead they set us up in a delivery suite to sleep.  Sleep ya right.  The older nurse was getting frustrated with me because I couldn’t sleep.  How can you sleep when every 5-7 minutes you’re having contractions and then between each one of those I had to pee?  Any who Travis slept while I moved around.  At 7 am the nurses changed and they started to prep me for induction, IV, change into gown, watching my vitals and baby’s.  At 8 am my DR came in and she broke my water, which is a very weird feeling, painless but weird.  Right after that my contractions got stronger and painful.  With my whole pregnancy I said I don’t want an epidural but if the pain is too much I am totally up for it.  Guess what I figured that the pain would just get worse (which it totally did) so I opted for the epidural.  Oh ya bring it on.  It was not as painful going in as everyone says and the effect was great.  I could still feel the contractions and they were uncomfortable but they weren’t painful.  Now fast forward to 9:30am, I was getting the urge to push, the nurse checked me and I was fully dilated but they didn’t want me to push because my Dr was in a surgery at the moment so they had me “breathe the urge out”.  Seriously that was super hard and after about 30 mins. of this I started choking because I can’t breathe them out anymore.  They check me again and guess what the baby is crowning so the nurse says I can start to push, what a relief.  I really don’t recall a whole lot about the whole pushing thing but I do remember my Dr running in getting half dressed in scrubs and says let’s have a baby.  So by this point my epidural has only frozen one half of me because I was lying on my side but hey only feeling half the pain was good.  It is true what they say about the ring of fire but I really didn’t care I wanted this baby out of me.  At 10:18 Am after only 15 mins. of pushing my baby girl arrives.  Seriously that is the most amazing feeling ever because your body just totally feels instant relief.  First thing I ask is “what is it?”  “It’s a girl” “Oh good,” was my response.  It’s a good thing she was a girl because we were still arguing over the boy’s name while I was in labour.  So the total experience was as good as it could be, the absolute worst part was getting stitched up after, I was shaking so bad I could barely stand.  And it’s true what they say about losing all shame about being naked because the nurse dried me off after my “shower”.  So enough about me on to our baby girl, She was 9lbs 2 oz. and causing havoc when they were trying to measure her, she was yanking on the tubes around the bed.  We discover that her head did not collapse like it should’ve, it measured 35 cm right after birth and the next day it measured 36cm ouch.  She latch great for nursing right off the bat and she slept a lot.  Word to the wise don’t let visitors come the first day, you are so tired and in so much pain that it’s hard to be cheerful and happy with them.  I seriously have the best hubby though he helped me walk to the bathroom and helped lift my feet back into bed.  The part of me that was really sore which surprised me were my arms, from holding my legs while I pushed.  The first night in the hospital was brutal I had a mean night nurse.  We had decided that Travis would go home and sleep so that he was functional to help during the day.  So I told this night nurse that I would need help changing Jaida’s diapers because I could barely get myself out of bed never mind move to change her diaper.  The nurse looked at me and said,” Here’s a change pad, do it on the bed”.  Well that was not helpful at all because I couldn’t bend at the right angle to change her either.  This nurse also had me stay awake all night trying to wake Jaida to eat which was not very successful.  My day nurses were awesome and my hubby was great during the day.  Any who after 3 sleepless nights we decided that I would be better taken care of at home by Travis.  We were quickly discharged as it got very busy in the maternity ward.  Once at home I crawled into bed with Jaida and we slept while Travis took good care of us.  I’m so blessed to have a loving and caring husband.
 
 
            Jaida Sleeping in Her Bright Outfit from Great Grandma Pedersen

 
Her 1st Sunday Dress from Aunt Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment